Thursday, June 02, 2011

swim, bike, run... or just watch

Why yes, we are still here, digging our way out of the cicada invasion.

I must confess that I have somehow befriended the species.  I guess I was dive-bombed one too many times.  If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em, right?  The truth is, we have refused to let them spoil our fun.  We have spent our days outside just accepting the hum as the soundtrack of our summer.  I’ve even (gasp) handled more than a few - voluntarily.  It’s not that bugs gross me out, it’s just these particular beady red eyes and the croaking sound they make.  I explain to the boys that I’m challenging myself, growing as a person.   They’re unimpressed. 

That said, we have had a busy couple of weeks.  Hayes completed his first triathlon in way less time than he projected, and we were all there to watch. (see above) I was so proud of him.  And I was proud that I had the kids out of the house at 7:15 am dressed in real clothes as opposed to pajamas.  Not quite the same level of accomplishment as the triathlon, but we all have our own goals and challenges, right?  

 
Davis enjoyed a play date at the Discovery Center with Katie while Peter was in Birmingham.  She ran circles around him trying everything out, but he stayed close to the tree house and the cogs and gears wall.  Below you see him staring at the water fountain outside. 

We had an impromptu gathering for those friends who stayed in town for Memorial Day.  We discussed soldiers and their bravery several times, but Peter was most excited about Daddy getting to stay home on a Monday.  We enjoyed a beautiful afternoon with good friends, yummy treats and rocket balloons.  We marveled at how well Peter shared toys.  Suffice it to say that hasn't always been the case. 


Clara and Eleanor - two peas in a pod
Krishin brought his homemade bow and arrow - here Noah is testing it while Peter looks on in amazement.
I'm just happy to be here!
I think I've mentioned that Davis's exploratory tendencies are way more... hands on [and feet on and mouth on] than Peter's were.  I fight this every rainy morning when I'm trying to corral the troops to get in the car. 


Let's just say the battles I choose to fight have changed over the past few years. 


No comments: