Monday, June 06, 2011

negotiations

Parental discipline is hard enough to navigate without the kid changing things up on you all the time. We have had moderate success with various methods but we have yet to find one that works for more than a few months at a time. Unfortunately, the latest episodes of poor judgment have resulted in injuries critical enough to warrant disciplinary reevaluation. [Note: most injuries were sustained by yours truly, but D and H got their fair share as well.] Without said action, an ER trip was going to be next.

So we began downsizing the Bryant truck fleet. Within four hours, every truck had been confiscated. They now reside on the shelves of a closet we have been clearing out for the remodel (starts next week for those wondering).




And so began the negotiations. The letsmakeadeals. The insistence that he will listen/be a good friend/be a good brother/play nicely/be gentle if only.....

Yes, these are verbatim.

"Since you took all of my Bruder trucks, I guess we need to go to Philip's Toy Mart to get some new ones. Here, I'll get the new catalog and show you which ones I want."

"I think some new restaurants are open by Phillip's Toy Mart. Maybe we can go there for lunch."

"Mommy, I will make you a deal. I will let you pass if you give me a new truck."

"I need a truck to eat supper."

And the most gut-wrenching one of all is the silent negotiation. He has yet to poop on the potty again after his Alabama vacation over 2 weeks ago. I just know he's holding out for the promise of another damn truck.

So now the question is where to turn after all the sacred trucks are gone...

No comments: