Peter is in summer camp this month. Three days a week and different themes throughout: first was farm week, then space week and this past week was a circus. Literally and figuratively - that's another story. Next week is construction week - he has been asking for "instruction" week since the beginning, So we are all eager for next week. He has suddenly become more interested in showing off his artwork, though he still insists on using the color blue whenever given the option. Which artist had the blue period? You just never know. Here's a mystery - he will not use the potty at school until I arrive to get him and insist that he goes before we leave. Then he goes easypeasy. That's at least 7 hours. Who has a bladder that big - or a will that strong? Jeez.
We started yet another system to reinforce good behavior and it seems to be working well. He has had some of his best big brother days lately. I so prefer his sharing with Davis and offering affection than head butting, arm twisting and toy yanking. We all have better days when those methods are not the norm.
Davis has enjoyed having three days a week with just me, even though he spends them running around warehouses and strolling through plumbing showrooms trying out faucets and toilets. He has been having a bit of separation anxiety at the church nursery and now at the gym nursery. Just a phase to work through, I suppose. He's still showing signs of teething and his canines are coming in, so I know he's in a bit of pain. Doesn't stop him from keeping up with Peter and Chief, though! He has started dabbling more with his voice, so different sounds are starting to emerge as words. Lord knows he understands everything! His favorite trick is to hold his hands up by his shoulders when we ask a question. Where is your cup, Davis? He walks around with his hands up like he's shrugging. Cher bebe, always so happy.
Why the circus, you ask?
We began a remodel this week. This means that for weeks now I have been clearing out the master bedroom, master bath, and the room-formerly-known-as-the-study-but-long-ago-became-a-storage-closet-slash-catchall-hideaway. The subsequent displacement has been easy since Hayes and I could just move downstairs. The dining room has been filled floor to about chest high with everything from clothing and bathroom gear to bookcases, our bed, books, tv, wall art... You name it, it's in the dining room. The rest? Well, it's in the demo trailer you see below.

The first work day was of course demolition day (a term that caught on quickly around here with little ears), and by day's end there were our new rooms. I mean, walls moved, new rooms framed, floors removed and new walls up. It's even better than it looked on paper. We still have a way to go, but the new bath and closet are totally worth the inconvenience. So far I have been really happy with the contractor and his crew, and thankfully they have been very patient with me and my "crew."
Summer has treated us very well. We have had plenty of park visits and birthday parties, not to mention days spent just in the backyard. Soon I will have made all my selections and decisions, and I'll be hitting then road with the boys. Hoping for some AL, LA, and maybe even ATL time with family. By and large I left July mostly unscheduled (camps and whatnot) so we could be flexible with our whereabouts. Once I'm done with the closet design and some nitpicky details, I will be happy to hand over the baton to my trusty representative and get the hell outta Dodge, so to speak.
Lastly, Hayes and I are on en route home from a weekend getaway to Washington, DC. We were visiting Matt Carroccio, a dear friend from college whom we have not seen in over 5 years. We met his first daughter as an infant but he now has two girls plus a baby boy Davis's age. We did a little sightseeing, Hayes ran the monuments and the Mall at sunrise; I slept in and enjoyed not carrying ten pounds of miscellany on my shoulders. Oh, and there was the matter of going to the US Open golf tournament. Watching precious Rory McElroy win the championship was not a bad way to spend Father's Day.
Not only did we celebrate Hayes's paternal awesomeness, but we also celebrated seven years of marriage. Go us!
No comments:
Post a Comment