Monday, June 18, 2012

go time




As you may recall, our trip to Louisiana did not begin ideally.  Davis fell ill on Saturday with a totally different infection than he had the week before.  A virus, of course, so the antibiotic he was still taking was futile against it.  Then Peter spiked a fever on Sunday.  Our first few days were spent convalescing, which was okay with me because I can't do much anyway.  Peter fell in love with my brother's old Legos, so I immediately bought him his own set and he has already spent hours upon hours of quiet, independent play time building some really creative versions of fire stations, trucks, control centers, etc.  Poor Hayes.  Sweet, restless Hayes.  He drove 7 hours to Mom's house and within 15 minutes was looking for somewhere to go, something to do.  Can't sit still for anything - and this was his vacation!  He had grand plans for adventures with the boys but the first few days were less than exciting.  Fortunately, we had a lot of good food and bike shops to keep him occupied.  His biggest score of the week was a pass to the City Club so that he could take the boys to the pool.  They have this resort-style pool with a big waterslide, splash pad and lazy river, so you can imagine how thrilled the boys were when fevers broke and they could FINALLY partake in this magical place.  It's a two minute walk from Mom's house, so they went every morning after breakfast and wore themselves out before taking the world's longest naps after lunch.  Even Peter napped every day!  I joined a couple of mornings but between the heat, my increasing discomfort, and other obligations for which to prepare, I wasn't much help at all. 


Peter earned a reward a while back for managing to leave his room in the mornings without waking Davis:  a snorkeling set.  When he mentioned to his swim coach that he got new goggles, flippers and a snorkel, he explained that it was because he sneaked out of his room.  I suspect I am going to live to regret this in 12 years!

Wa-too!  Wa-too!  [Water! Water]  We finally were able to convince him to call it a pool.  He's a bit stubborn when it comes to actually utilizing the vocabulary he understands.


Our little amphibian

I get this look a lot.

Wild. Man.


This, to me, is Peter at age 4.  Big eyes, jaw clenched in thought/anger/emotion of any kind.


 The reason for our trip was yet another family wedding (#4 this year) in which Davis was the ring bearer.  Throughout this pregnancy, the looming question has been whether I would be able to travel given my advanced gestational situation.  I am fortunate to have a doctor who does not draw lines in the sand; she knows that I know my limits and wouldn't do anything without weighing all of the options.  It helps that I was going to my hometown, where I know a few folks and doctors are aplenty.  I traveled knowing full-well that I could go into labor at any time, but it was important to me to take the risk.  As my grandmother said, if I did have the baby there, I'd have so much help I wouldn't know what to do with myself!  Spoiler Alert:  we made it home last night with no dramatic delivery.  Guardian angels were watching; though God had a good laugh by sending me false contractions in increasing frequency throughout the day. Poor Hayes was having a silent panic attack. 

The wedding was beautiful and Davis was a model ring bearer.  Well, no, I still haven't seen footage but everyone said he did just what he was supposed to do.  I hate to have missed the vows, but at least those around me weren't exposed to the ugly cry that comes during sentimental moments like that.  My cousin Emily made a beautiful, gracious bride and her now-husband - well, they don't come any better.  They sacrificed time during this super-hectic week to spend lots of time with Davis and his obsessive love for her grew exponentially.  The trickster now calls for Nanny Em every few minutes.  And get this - he calls us Mommy Em and Daddy Em for kicks.  In one word:  sly.  We really have to watch out for this one.



In the fitting room - "do I look like Daddy now?"

Would you believe I had my camera all night and never took a picture?  Peter was so proud in his fancy wedding clothes and Davis was a ham in his little tuxedo, and I haven't any proof of the fact that they were up past 11pm.  Folks, my kids haven't ever seen 9pm.  They saw both 10pm and nearly midnight this past week.  Let the detox begin....

Eight years ago this evening, Hayes and I were starting our own life together just yards away from the pool where he took our boys last week.  I am reminded daily of what a lucky mommy I am, but it must be said I'm a pretty lucky wife too.  I married a good man who is a great father.  And he can pack a car like nobody's business.  :)

A week's worth of cargo all fit in the back of the van without even blocking the rear view.  (Not that I'm proud of my minivan or anything.)  Note the infant carrier - we were prepared! 

Dorothy was right, there's no place like home.


Now it's baby time.



1 comment:

Lindsay said...

You know the Kingwood Country Club has a resort type pool with slides and a lazy river (wazy wibba says Sydney). Put those babies on an airplane and send them to us for a visit while you cuddle BB 3.0 - just sayin'.

And I cried a little while reading this. I'm sad we missed the wedding and sad we missed visiting with your family!