A few days ago, a friend posted on facebook regarding teacher gifts for the end of the school year. I was taken back to my first couple of years teaching, sitting at my desk in awe of the loot that befell me on that final day. I got some really great stuff. I remember going home and my roommates would go through it all with me and remark on how generous the parents always were. Indeed they were. Only aside from a beautiful crystal vase and a Tiffany necklace, I can't remember what I got.
Now we are in the age of gift cards and all the parents contributing to one large group gift card. Great. Easy. Let the teacher decide which jewelry or dining experience she wants. But as I was about to respond so practically as a parent, I remembered the gestures that really mattered to me as a teacher. I have a collection of notes from parents who took the time to write to me, explaining the impact I had upon their children. I cannot tell you how many times I dipped into that collection in New York when I so badly wanted to give up teaching just so I didn't have to lay eyes on those hellions.
So I took my own advice. Yes, I contributed to the gift card fund. But I sat down during nap time this past week and thought about the impact that Peter's teacher has had on him in the past 8+ months. I realized her work reached far beyond the school halls; it even improved our life as a family. And I think it's only fair that she knows it.
Dear Lauren,
As the school year comes to a close I want to thank you, though it occurs to me that the gifts you have shared with Peter will continue to serve him beyond the school calendar. Last summer, you met a quiet, cautious, smart little boy and you encouraged him. You paid attention. You nurtured his strengths and challenged him to try things that were less comfortable and familiar. You persisted. Most of all, you loved him. Moreover, he knew it.
This year has been transformational for our family - and will continue to be so! I am so grateful for the time and energy you spent to help reveal the creative, silly, clever(!) side of our boy. He is more confident, I am more confident for him, and our family has certainly achieved greater silliness than we thought possible a year ago. I am most grateful to you for the environment you provided that inspires him to love learning so very much. That is truly the gift that will last a lifetime. I feel certain that when we reminisce about his school years, it will not take us long to think of you and say a prayer of gratitude. You have been a godsend, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Warmly,
Sarah
1 comment:
Beautiful sentiments. As a former teacher I know that this is a "gift" she will treasure, just as you treasure the gift she is to Peter. It is heartwarming to read your updates and see the beautiful woman, wife and mother little Sarah grew up to be. I know how proud of you your mom is and I'm sure your dad would be also. Much love and best wishes to you, Hayes and your precious family.
Post a Comment