It snowed last year too:
I made a snowman and my brother knocked it down
and I knocked my brother down and then we had tea.
-Dylan Thomas
Well if that doesn't sum up my day, I don't know what does. I am amazed each and every day by the hero worship Davis shows to Peter in spite of Peter's attempts to thwart his every move. He must sense that Davis is getting bigger and bolder and he hasn't much time left before Davis is taking him down instead. Simultaneously, Peter shows such pride when Davis learns a new trick or says a new word. At the table yesterday, Peter began talking to Davis using baby sign language. It's a complex relationship but also so simple - I'm hoping as they grow and their differences emerge that they can be each other's heroes.
Speaking of differences, picture this: a week in the Texas panhandle where no rain has dropped in 7 months. Gorgeous weather, a herd of cattle (with little grass left), machines and trucks aplenty, and wind that nearly knocks you off your feet. Oh, and more dirt than these boys have ever seen. Here is our week in a nutshell...
Peter: Oh wow! Look at those cows! Where's the baby? That's a turkey?! Oh this is bumpy. Can we feed the cows? A barn? It's a bunch of Chiefys! TWO kitty cats?! Let's swing. No let's ride on the buggy. Oh look! It's the Kubota - when can I drive it. I really get to move dirt?! Why don't we take off our shoes at this house? What are house rules? Why are there different rules? Man it's windy! Is that dirt blowing in the wind? Ick. What is that out in the field? Is it time to feed the cows? Can I pull the rope? Why does the truck have a siren? Why don't we have to wear seatbelts at the ranch? I'm getting "hungery." I get to drive a bulldozer?! Look at the dirt we moved! Where are my sunglasses? Keep your head on a swivel everyone - we have to find the blue tag cow. If those cows drink all that water then they'll have to go to the potty! Let's go feed the cows. When can I drive the tractor again? Where's Socks [the cat]? Can I help you sweep? Let me dig a hole. No, no Davis! That's my hole! Where's my iPod? What are the fences for? Why did that fence poke a hole in my ball? Let's pick this flower for Nanny. Can we go for another buggy ride? Can I work the hose at the kennels? Which one is Chiefy's mommy? Can we go look for the baby calf? I wish Daddy was here with us. Can we get close to the cows? Maybe I can play [crossing guard] as the cows walk across the field. Socks, do you want to sit on the swing with me? Mommy, why do we have to go home to Nashville? I pooped in the potty! Can I have a cookie? Can I push you in the swing? What's for supper? I'm too sleepy to eat. Look! The bath water is dirty! Night night.
Davis: Let me out of here so I can go roll in the dirt!
 |
| The best rocking chair ever. |
 |
| If only you could see how much dirt was covering his face. |
 |
| About to drive the bulldozer... |
 |
| Cutting the road... |
 |
| So happy |
 |
| Our neighbors |
 |
| Eeyore - at least while we were there |
 |
| Nanny and her boys |
 |
| Driving the tractor and lifting the loader bucket to move some dirt |
 |
| Running (yes, he's learning to run) around the porch |
 |
| Haircut time - "Mommy, the rest of my hairs need to stay on my head." |
 |
| What's so great about a bulldozer? The dirt is the fun part! |
 |
| Sweetness |
 |
| Double sweetness |
Suffice it to say, we had a memorable trip. How lucky my boys have always been to have the Bryants' lake house nearby, with such special and enriching activities at their fingertips. Compound that with this ranch in which they have a whole host of new and exciting, really rich experiences. It's really something to see. I hope we get invited back, as it must have been like living with the Tasmanian Devil and the Roadrunner under one roof.
As for me, it was a long awaited trip to finally experience a place that has come to mean a great deal to my mom. I was able to put faces with names and sit down to dinner with some very interesting people. The stories they have to tell! My mom is blessed to be surrounded by really good, hard working people and it is strangely fun to see her slip so effortlessly into cowgirl mode. Now that's a phrase I never thought I'd say. Estelline, Texas is a town with a posted population of 168. I met several of them, as did the boys. While I'm sure my kids made an impression on those people, I feel certain that Circle C Ranch made a much more profound impression on them.
No comments:
Post a Comment