Thursday, April 08, 2010

I survived!  Honestly, the whole day was a series of comic relief.  I'm sure passers-by looked at me thinking, "I remember those days," or "That poor girl."  I was so concerned about timing everything just right so I could stop just once for lunch. The car was packed with special attention paid to our new "backseat book box" (a must for all toddlers) and all other supplies carefully placed within my arm's reach.  Right after Davis's morning feeding, we jumped in the car and off we went with the hopes of a three hour leg before lunch.

Yeah right.

Ninety minutes in, after several bouts of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" and I Spy, Davis woke up with the tune of his hunger cry.  Peter wanted some nuggets.  Nice.  Bright side?  We were avoiding the lunch rush by eating so early, right?  Nope.  I considered waiting until we got back in the car to feed Davis, but Peter is a very pokey eater.  Instead I tucked myself away in the booth and quietly fed him while Peter piddled with his lunch.  I've had lunch with the boys before - no problem. Peter decided to tease me by reaching for the hair belonging to the lady seated behind him.  Repeatedly.  He spread himself across the booth seat and turned my overflowing purse upside-down.  I'll spare further detail, but it was not our finest hour.  As much as I dreaded the restroom visit, it turned out to be the least dramatic moment of the lunch stop.  Peter decided to be a big boy and help me out. Better late than never.  As I trudged back to the car with both boys, two drinks and a purse, I set my car alarm off.  Lovely.  I finally turned it off, only to hear, "Cank ew Mommy. [Thank you Mommy.]"  Then he looked to Davis and said, "Mommy made loud noise."

I did end up stopping a second time shortly after we made it into Louisiana, though I must praise my boys because the only cries of the whole trip were that of a hungry newborn.  It's what they do.  Peter napped well and then kept me company, though I will confess to using the portable DVD player for a portion of the trip. The last hour from Baton Rouge was "I've Been Working on the Railroad" on repeat.  Hey, whatever works. 

I did learn (or re-learn, as the case may be) a few things yesterday and I figure I need to put them in writing for future reference:

  • Babies will experience a growth spurt during road trips and vacations, requiring more frequent feedings and shorter naps.  Yippee.
  • Parents don't buy DVD players for the kids; they buy DVD players to maintain a wee bit of sanity.
  • May as well turn over radio control to the toddler. He's going to sing whatever he wants to hear anyway.
  • Use overnight diapers for each leg of the trip. (Just a tidbit for other moms reading this.)
  • The infant WILL wake up squealing within 60 seconds of the toddler FINALLY settling into sleep.
  • Roadwork and its machines are little bits of heaven to a passing little boy. (Same with police lights.)  I think this is the origin of all rubbernecking.
  • Note to self for next time: Devise a way to turn open highway, blue sky, green grass and trees, and white clouds into a 30 minute game of "I Spy."
  • Always have a plan, but don't plan to stick to it.
  • All of my worries were unfounded.  Both boys did beautifully without a single complaint about the lengthy ride.  Even I called Hayes during their nap and asked, "Are we there yet?"
 In any case, we are in Lafayette safe and sound, and there is a poboy calling my name.  :)

No comments: