Sunday, January 20, 2013

up, up and away!


 Between the holidays and the hullaballoo surrounding kindergarten admissions this month, I totally dropped the birthday ball.  Last weekend I realized how excited Davis was to be turning "free" and I just couldn't handle the mommy guilt.  So, I threw together a little shindig in five ("fiv" in Davis language) days.  But short notice in the middle of winter combined with a firm preference not to host at home made a venue fairly difficult to come by.  So I opted for an outdoor party, naturally.  In January.  Go ahead - I know my judgment is questionable.

One of our favorite spots for passing time on a clear day is the airport overlook. We decided to gather a small group of friends, bundle up, and watch the airplanes while munching on birthday cupcakes, donut holes and coffee for the grown-ups.  It was short, sweet, and best of all, the birthday boy was delighted.
Llllook Mommy! Da plane, da plane!
 
Front row seats!

Can hardly close his mouth for all the donut holes crammed in there
 
Even Matthew joined the fun - I think he was the coziest of us all!
I had let the moms know that we wouldn't expect them to stay a long time given the temperature, but the kids held it together really well for a while.  They simply didn't stop moving.  Nobody else had ever been to the overlook, so it was new and exciting for our friends.

I had a table set up with balloons, the food and coffee and plates and napkins.  Hayes had the control tower radio blaring from his car.  You'd think we'd have heard when they asked airport security to come and check on the freaks in the observation area.  That poor guy drove over and all but begged us to put the balloons away, lest they float away into the airspace.  They were weighted down (I had actually thought of that beforehand), but nonetheless his visit was a major buzzkill.  Soon after, the kids began complaining about the cold and the wind and friends began to leave.  Before we loaded up the car, Peter asked all the grownups to line up for an announcement.  I thought he just wanted us all away so he could sneak another cupcake.  We obliged, and he took to the podium and said, "In attending to Davis's birthday party, I must proclaim Happy Birthday to DAVIS!" 

Happy birthday indeed.

Now on Tuesday, for the real birthday, we'll be inside for cake.  Maybe then the candles will stay lit long enough to make a wish. 




No comments: