Saturday, August 27, 2011

gators ahoy



Nothing brings out the inner teacher like a birthday party.  As I mentioned before, I love planning parties for my kids.  I’m not big on being the center of attention, but their birthdays are so special to me that I like a big celebration.  Judging by Peter’s reaction, I think the idea of parties is growing on him.

Everyone arrived to the house and followed the treasure map markings to the back yard where they could put on pirate hats, patches, sashes and bandannas.  After lots of playing on the playhouse and riding toys, we had the inevitable go with the rocket balloons until we lost all of them in trees or on the roof.  Others just took a dip in the water table.


Then we had a close match of “pin the flag on the pirate ship” that had us in stitches.  Next came the treasure hunt, a concoction of clues leading the kids on a chase all over our yard (and our neighbors’ too, frankly) to help Peter find his birthday treasure. They each carried a pouch to collect gold coins, candies, bubbles and jewels.

Emerging from the bamboo forest with Clue #3
Dispensing bubbles and searching for Clue #4
Finding the key in the sandbox led them to the garage door which opened up and -- voila.




 That was a home run.

We had cannonball cups (donut holes) after singing happy birthday and the kids continued taking turns on the Gator until their parents were luring them away with promises of special lunches and treats at home. 

We all enjoyed ourselves, but I think I know who enjoyed himself the most.

It was a great morning and Peter seemed to really love it.  I am most proud of his good sharing, as he not only shared his regular toys but he was really great about letting everyone have turns on the new Gator.  However when Davis wants a ride, that’s a different story.  

I guess even pirate brothers are brothers first. 




No comments: